If you get lipstick on one of your cherished dresses, we've been told the trick is in sticky tape. It doesn't just work on lippie though, try it on blusher, eyeshadow and bronzer stains, too.
- Smooth a strip of clear tape over the stain.
- Quickly rip the tape off and the stain should go with it.
For the dreaded white shirt stain, a pump of shaving cream is said to help remove foundation and dissolve any stains.
- Apply a squirt of shaving foam to the stain.
- Allow to set for up to 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, gently rub the shaving cream into the stain.
- Rinse with cold water.
- Repeat the process.
You heard it correctly, hairspray can help remove a lipstick stain. Just ensure you choose an alcohol-based hairspray or it won’t make a difference. Here’s how to use hairspray to remove makeup stains.
- Spray an alcohol-based hairspray onto the stain.
- Allow to dry.
- Rub a wet wipe over the hardened hairspray and the lippie should come off with it.
Using face wipes to remove makeup stains is one of the oldest backstage tricks at fashion shows. It works like a dream on cotton and you can carry them on the go.
- Before you try to remove makeup stains with a face wipe, ensure you spot test.
- Gently rub the stain until it melts into the fabric.
- apply some cold water to the affected area.
- Dab it dry with a clean napkin.
We all know how frustrating it can be when loose powder drops onto your favourite blouse or black pants. Any attempt to wipe it away just rubs it in further and it becomes more noticeable then before. The solution is quick, easy and effective – it’s a hair dryer.
- Grab your trusty hair dryer and blast the powder off the fabric.
- Et voila, the only left should be on your face.
Ice, Ice Bay
So, you’re powdering your nose in the restaurant and get an unsightly makeup stain on your dress. What do you do?
- Ask the barman for ice.
- Gently rub the ice cube over the stain and watch that unwanted friend disappear.
- Dab a napkin on top, using some carbonated water if that isn’t enough.
Advice From The Review Girls
- Always spot check the fabric before trying any of the techniques above.
- Avoid hot water when trying to treat a makeup stain, it can spread the stain instead of removing it.
- Be cautious with silk, it’s so delicate. Linen on the other hand can withstand higher temperatures and more aggressive treatments.
- Read the label – if it says dry clean only, then only dry clean it.
Shop women's clothing here