Breakfast at Tiffany’s Inspired Cake Decorating
Breakfast at Tiffany’s inspired vanilla sprinkle cake? Say no more! We can’t resist a sweet treat (especially for a special occasion) and we absolutely adore anything Audrey Hepburn. Take your cake decorating skills to the next level with the lovely fashion blogger and #reviewgirl Lizzie! Lizzie takes you through her step by step process for a flawless and equally delicious Tiffany blue vanilla sprinkle cake that you can easily do yourself from the comfort of your own home!
"These days, I've been spending a lot more time indoors which means that I've had to become more creative when it comes to special occasions. I recently celebrated a friend's birthday, which consisted of a full day of self-care, gardening, and of course, cake baking! The act of baking puts a smile on my face and it's even better knowing that you get to treat yourself afterward! Since I'm a huge fan of Audrey Hepburn, I decided to create a cake inspired by one of my favourite movies... Breakfast at Tiffany's! Of course I new I wanted to add the iconic Tiffany blue colour and bow but everything else was done on a whim. What I love about this cake is that it's perfectly imperfect - I just love the homemade feel! What's even better is that my little brother decided to join me for this birthday cake baking session. We had so much fun working on this together and created some wonderful memories in the process."
Whole Egg Recipe:
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3 whole eggs
- Sprinkles Cake mix
Egg White Recipe:
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup oil
- 4 egg whites
- Sprinkles Cake Mix
Substitute any of these options for eggs in the whole egg recipe -
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup egg substitute (I use Red Mill)
- Set oven to 350 degrees C
- Coat 2 9-inch round pans with non-stick cooking spray
- Mix together cake mix (recipe of your choice from above)
- Bake at 350 C for 29 to 33 minutes
- Cool completely before removing from pan and frosting
Pre-made Vanilla frosting
My Secret Homemade Buttercream Recipe (dairy-free)
- 1 1/2 cups of shortening
- 900g of powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract (the clear one - imitation is not recommended)
- 1/4 tsp salt
Add ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix until smooth (tip: add powdered sugar one cup at a time)
- Piping tips (Wilton 3, 21 and 104)
- Piping bag
- Spatula or butter knife
- Blue food gel
- Remove cooled cake from cake pans
- Frost the top of one with a bit of frosting before putting the second cake on top
- Separate remaining frosting into 2 containers - one with 3/4 of the frosting and the other with the remaining 1/4
- Mix together 1 drop of blue food in the larger bowl with 3/4 of the frosting
- Frost entire cake with blue frosting using a spatula or the dull side of a butter knife
- Place sprinkle on a flat surface and push down into them with your fingertips. Transfer to the side of the cake, gently pressing down. Do this around the entire cake.
- Place the remaining white frosting into a piping bag with the 21 tip
- Pipe along top and bottom edges
- Change out the 21 tip for the 104 tip and draw a straight line across the top of the cake. Create a bow in the middle.
- Replace the 3 and add polka dots around the top
The decorating steps (6-10) are completely optional! Have fun with it and feel free to let your creativity shine! I hope you enjoy your beautiful (and delicious) cake!!
Want to see more Audrey Hepburn inspired goodies?
Check out our Icons collection of timeless Dresses, Skirts and Pants inspired by fashion icons of the past.